So we're about half way through the school year and we are BORED! This Horizons curriculum in NOT good for us. Austin is frustrated and bored. I'm even tired of doing the same thing over and over. He's doing really great with his reading and writing, but I feel like it's torture for him to sit down and do it. I was thinking I was a horrible teacher and it was time for him to go to school. The Lord has really been dealing with me about it today. It's not me. It's not Austin. This curriculum is just not a good fit for him. He loves science and wants to know "Why?" all the time. I forgot how boys are more science based. (Brett loves to argue with me about that but I'm sorry; I believe it's true!) I didn't get him science this year because I figured we could just explore it on our own. Yesterday he wanted to talk about the planets and I was kind of brushed him off. I feel terrible! He also loves to do draw and sometimes just wants to draw all day. Today he literally has colored most of the day. He made a book about pumpkins. :)
The Horizons lessons have 3-6 pages of phonics work everyday. The math seems all over the place. Each lesson has four sections of different things for them to do. I get him focused on addition and then the next section is time. I don't remember ever learning about four different math things a day. I thought this year it would be best for us to focus on reading and math but I'm learning he needs something different. I guess that's how it work with homeschooling though! Brett and I have been looking at My Father's World for next year. It has lots of science in it so I'm really leaning toward it right now. I think he will love it!
I still think homeschooling will work best for us. If we stay in the house, the public school they would attend is not in the best area of town. :( If we put them in private school, it would probably be $20,000 a year! I know from my public school experience that it's hard to be a Christian and be in that setting. I lost my way. I know if I give him a strong Christ based home life he would probably make it, but do I take that chance? Especially with boys. I feel like they try harder to fit in. I worry that Austin lacks some things that kids learn in school, like how to sit quietly, how not to interrupt adults, how to be still for 5 SECONDS!!! I need to work on those things at home. It's easy to forget how he needs to learn those things. Then we get in public and I feel like people are annoyed by him! Any thoughts on teaching those things, homeschool mamas?
No comments:
Post a Comment