Brett and I have been talking a lot lately about how much Austin has grown this year (and perhaps mom and dad have too!). I remember thinking he was going to be a handful all his life. He used to throw big fits when he didn't get his way. I was at a loss. "How do I make him stop doing this in public?", I would think to myself. I would be really embarrassed. When he started Cubbies last year, I was totally appalled at the way my child was acting. He wasn't listening to the leaders and no matter what I said to him, he would just keep being a handful. (He actually wasn't that bad! In fact, some of the other boys were being just as rotten as he was. I just couldn't see it!) I thought there would be no way I could home school this child, even though I felt like it was what we needed to do.
Anyway, this year, his behavior has improved so much! I'm not taking any credit here though! It was through prayer and a program Brett's step mom Jennie sent us we were able to shape his character into what he is today. The program is called Honorable Character and it was developed by the Christian school she teaches at. It's a point system, which at first I thought he wouldn't understand but he loves getting points! He gets points for displaying different honorable characteristics (honor, obedience, diligence, wisdom, kindness, self-control, orderliness, service, attentiveness, cooperation, initiative, honesty, forgiveness, responsibility, and we added graciousness.) All of the characteristics came with bible verses. Whenever he starts to throw a fit I can just say, "Austin, are you showing self control right now?" and usually he will stop. It helps me not yell so much! Initiative is one he rarely gets points for so I made a chart with all his chores on it so maybe he'll remember to do them without being told, but so far that has only happened like once! Whenever he does something without being told we try to make a big deal out of it so he'll try to do it more.
The program also rewards points for doing his chores. He gets points for cleaning his room, helping Brett take out the trash, helping dry and put the dishes away, getting his things out of the van, helping me dust, and feeding Lola. We also give him points for eating his dinner. He used to be so picky and wouldn't even taste the things I would cook. He would gag and cry if we made him. Now he'll eat everything on his plate (well, most of the time!)! We discovered he is a "closet broccoli lover!" He says he hates it but the gobbles it up! Whenever I started taking him to big church, we added points for church behavior too. We also consider Cubbies for those points. He's being doing really well so far! His Cubbies behavior has definitely improved. He's one of the big kids now so he sits and listens when all the other kids around him are fighting and talking. I only see him during story time and rec time so some of the other teachers might have a different story but so far I'm impressed with his behavior!
I really like the Honorable Character program. Jennie's school uses a version of it in their classrooms. If anyone wants information about it, let me know and I'll send you the website. I'm sure you could make up you own home version. I can't wait until we can use it with Logan! He's in his terrible two stage but I feel a little better knowing we came through it with Austin. Austin still struggles with some behavior issues. Self-control is still an issue but when I see kids throwing a huge fit in the store and Austin is standing beside me having a light saber battle and bumping into people, I feel somewhat better. Then I smile at the person he bumped into and say, "Boys!" and tell him to apologize. :)
Love that program! Great idea!! We do sticker stars with a similar concept. Since the kids are older we don't use it as much. Elysia still loves it. Emilio I think could care less now but his behavior is wonderful. :) I miss you guys so much!!
ReplyDeleteWe've been doing it for about a year and he loves it! He loves to do chores! The other day he spilled some milk so I had him mop it up. He said "Mom! Can mopping be one of my chores now?" :) We miss you guys too!
ReplyDelete